Exams for Professional Competence Certificate
For the operation of and work with:
- transmitting radio equipment placed on board of aircrafts and ships entered in the aircraft, shipping or maritime register of the Czech Republic,
- terrestrial radio transmitting equipment of a mobile aeronautical and mobile nautical service.
- radiotelephone and radiotelegraphic terrestrial radio transmitting equipment operated in the short-wave band,
- radio transmitting equipment of amateur radiocommunication service,
person operating the station must be, according to Section 26 of Act No. 127/2005 Coll., on electronic communications and amending certain related acts (Electronic Communications Act), a holder of a valid professional competence certificate for the operation of this equipment (hereinafter “certificate”) or, in case of a legal person, must be ensured that only a person who has such a certificate operates this equipment.
Types of certificates are issued under Decree No. 157/2005 Coll., on the details of enrolment for the examination of special competence for the operation of radio transmission equipment, on the extent of knowledge needed for different special competence types, on the manner of performing the examination, on the types of professional competence certificates and on the duration of their validity.
Granting a certificate is contingent on successfully passing an exam of special competence or the recognition of competence acquired in a different EU Member State.
You can register for an exam to prove special competence at the Czech Telecommunication Office by completing the specified form, either electronically (electronic signature or data mailbox required), in writing or delivering printed copy personally.
Contact details are provided in the Contact section.
The applicant must also attach one actual photography (in a format 35 × 45 mm). The photography must correspond to the person’s appearance at the time of filling the application, and also fulfil other criterias required for photos for obtaining ID documents.
If applicant has permanent residency outside the Czech Republic, they must attach a copy of their passport or ID card.
CTU sends invitation in writing form not later than within three months of filling an application. CTU will take into account the applicant's request for the date of participation in the exam, however, all applicants will be enrolled in the order of received applications and the capacity of the test room. If an applicant is registered for the date of exam, CTU then sends an e-mail invitation 14 days before the date of the exam. Dates of exams are announced at least 30 days in advance on the CTU website in the Announcement of test dates section. Tests are usually taken at the registered office of CTU in Prague (for Bohemia) or in Ostrava (for Moravia and Silesia).
Course of the Exam
The exam begins with a written test on radiocommunication regulations, radiocommunication operation, electrical engineering, and radio-frequency engineering, which, for some exams, is accompanied by an oral examination (VFL, VFN, SRC, LRC, GOC, ROC and TEL certificates). At the request of the applicant, one part of the exam for obtaining of the certificate HAREC or NOVICE may also be a practical verification of knowledge of telegraphy.
- Questions for written tests including correct answers and content of oral exams to obtain a particular type of certificate are published on page Types of certificates.
- Exam Rules of the Czech Telecommunication Office, which lay down the procedure for providing and taking tests to prove special competence to operate radio transmitting equipment, to extend the validity of a professional competence certificate and to issue duplicates of such certificates.
A certificate is awarded to a candidate after successfully passing the exam. If the candidate fails the exam, they are offered achance to re-take it.